It is my delight to announce the recent elevation of our bespoke content management system (CMS), Bertie, to Angular 16. This significant advancement brings numerous technical and business advantages to our writers and readers.Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
Technical Improvements in Angular 16
enhancements in performance
- swift change detection: Angular 16 introduces a more efficient mechanism for change detection, resulting in a significantly faster process.
- enhanced route preloading: The upgrade incorporates improved algorithms for route preloading, leading to accelerated page loading. This results in a more streamlined content creation process for our writers.
Advanced Safety Features
- rigorous typescript compilation: Angular 16 implements stricter TypeScript compilation, fortifying the security of our CMS.
- Improved cookie management: The update brings enhanced practices in managing cookies, a crucial element for CMS data control.
Simplified dependency control
Business Perks of Migrating to Angular 16
Keeping abreast of modern technology
- Attracting top-notch engineering talent: By keeping Bertie up to date with modern frameworks like Angular 16, we continue to attract the finest engineering minds desiring to work with the latest web technologies.
- ensuring sustained support: This upgrade guarantees continued support from the Angular team and its community, which is vital for long-term success.
modular development with angular: Angular’s module federation feature significantly enhances our app development, especially for extending Bertie’s capabilities.
- independent feature development: Teams can construct and deploy features as standalone applications, which are then integrated into Bertie. This freedom in development allows focused and efficient work on specific functionalities.
- Greater development agility and scalability: The modular approach streamlines the development process, making it more agile and scalable. Teams can work on different features in parallel, speeding up the overall development timeline.
- utilization of focused expertise: Each module can be developed using the most fitting technologies and frameworks, capitalizing on the specific expertise of different teams. This leads to the creation of highly customized and unique features.
- Innovation and experimentation: The liberty provided by module federation stimulates innovation. Teams have the freedom to experiment and implement cutting-edge solutions within their modules.
- Robust and flexible platform development: The result is a more dynamic Bertie, which is constantly evolving with new features and enhancements. These independently developed modules come together to form an integrated, feature-rich platform.
Challenges of Major Framework Upgrades
Efforts in Migration and Updates
- codebase migration: There was a substantial effort spent by our team in migrating our codebase to align with Angular 16.
- Updating libraries and components: We encountered the challenge of updating existing Angular libraries and components to be compatible with the new version.
Conclusion: A worthwhile pursuit
The upgrade to Angular 16 has been a significant endeavor but extremely fulfilling. The enhancements in performance and security directly impact the daily experiences of Forbes writers and readers.
Keeping Bertie up to date with Angular ensures our ability to swiftly introduce new features while empowering our editorial team. I am exceedingly proud of our engineering team’s commitment to this upgrade, which is an important stride in establishing Bertie as a leading CMS for Forbes publishing.