Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
In Zagreb, Croatia (AP) – On Wednesday, authorities in Croatia suggested that people should only consume tap water while they investigate numerous instances of individuals getting sick and harmed after supposedly ingesting bottled drinks.
Minister of Health, Willy Beros, mentioned that several individuals had sought medical assistance due to “injuries caused by suspected chemical substances.” According to him, most of them have mild symptoms and will be discharged home.
Health officials have mandated the removal of “suspicious” products from retail outlets, dining establishments, and other places. While not specifying the recalled products, social media images indicated that they might be associated with Coca-Cola brands.
“We can preliminarily confirm that two (cases) were directly linked to the consumption of certain beverages, while the others are yet to be determined,” Barros stated. He added, “There is no need to panic, but caution is essential.”
Coca-Cola Company in Croatia stated its complete cooperation and conducted an internal inquiry, which revealed no irregularities in their production. They also sent samples for analysis.
Law enforcement and the public prosecutor’s office are conducting investigations. Beros stated, “Until then, our overall suggestion is to consume water from the water system, which should be safe.”
There were accounts of alleged poisoning after a man was admitted to the hospital for consuming carbonated bottled water at a café in the northern Adriatic port of Rijeka over the weekend. Furthermore, a university student suffered after reportedly consuming Coca-Cola on Tuesday.
Both incidents involved beverages from the Coca-Cola Company. The man from Rijeka supposedly consumed Romerquel Emotion Blueberry Pomegranate from a glass bottle, while the student from Zagreb was said to have consumed Coca-Cola from a plastic bottle obtained from a vending machine at his faculty.
Another similar incident came to light earlier in May.
As of Tuesday, a hospital in Rijeka reported that the man was treated for chemical injuries to his esophagus.
“It is likely that some corrosive cases need to be examined further to identify any additional ingredients in the beverages,” stated Krunoslav Capac, the head of Croatia’s public health institute.
The Associated Press